Choose your impact
Performance improvement is transformation. The following are six high impact areas.
- The function consuming the most resources to perform
- The function with potential to save the most money
- The function that is key to providing service
- The function needing the most improvement
- The function attracting the most feedback
- The function drawing concern from users
Be crystal clear
Performance improvement should be understood by all audiences.
Using these guidelines will provide a consistent understanding of the metric and the improvement.
- Performance information should be concise while still thorough
- Illustrate changes in performance with tables, charts, and graphs
- Provide explanations to describe factors and conditions that influence the results
- Provide guidance to using and interpreting the measurements
- Segment the measurements by the different audiences measured
Without clarity, performance measures are simply statistics.
These guidelines are explained in greater depth in the following sections.